As I was channel surfing the other day, I came upon a tv show that was all about self-improvement. The guest was speaking about how one can overcome fear in one's life. He said two very profound statements and I wanted to share them because I think they can help others as they helped me at the time.
He said:
* Thoughts are thoughts.
* Ideas are not reality.
These words resonated with me.
I meditated on them because I am constantly making decisions in my life and (re)acting to situations based on fear. I give fear too much power. And it's irrational. Many times my husband and I argue about things because I have something in my head that I think is going to happen if I speak on a particular subject. Or I get my back up because he makes a comment that I think is directed towards me. Or he shakes his head, or says "humph", and I think, "Gosh, what did I do now??" In actual fact, it may not have anything to do with me, but I take it on and my mind (re)acts out of fear. My mind then begins to wander and my insecurities expose themselves. I basically *think* myself afraid. My personality is such that I want peace and harmony and la di da and roses and kisses. The minute I sense something threatening my ideal then I become afraid. I am afraid I can't do something. I am afraid of lack of acceptance. I am afraid people don't like me. I'm afraid my husband is mad at me. I am afraid my marriage is failing. I am afraid I am not good enough. This is a lot for one person to carry with them their whole life. The statements above really made me think. I realized that I allow fear to rule me. I allow my thoughts to dictate my actions. And the thoughts in my head are not fact or fact-based. They are simply thoughts. Any ideas I generate from these incorrect thoughts are just ideas from a negative and insecure thought-pattern, and are thus, invalid.
This was a powerful revelation for me. This is my challange: to now make conscious decisions based on reality; to take what I hear and see and do not put my spin on it or overthink it. Just act. Not react, based on fear.
No comments:
Post a Comment